Page 1 of 4  > >>

Lockdown Spring at Crubenbeg

Jun 5, 2020

We are the first to appreciate how lucky we are to live at Crubenbeg, no more so than during this dreadful pandemic and drawn-out 'lockdown'. We miss sharing this beautiful place with guests and we are particularly sad for guests who were forced to cancel their stays with us due to the Coronavirus restrictions.  On a more positive note, we are looking forward to the gradual relaxation of the restrictions and hope that we will be able to re-open in July.  In the meantime, we thought we would share you a few pictures taken over the Spring and give you a brief update on what we have been up to during the 'lockdown'.

Like most of the country, after a very wet February, we have been blessed with several prolonged spells of dry and sunny weather.  This has enabled us to get on with a number of projects that might otherwise have been delayed until later in the year.  While the tress were still dormant, we spent several weeks thinning out the tress around and behind the pond, removing dead, diseased and spindly trees and reducing shading and leaf fall over the pond.  It is too soon to know whether this will have the desired benefit of reducing the blanketweed problems we have had over the last 2 summers, but we have our fingers crossed.  A by-product of this thinning is a wood store full of home-grown Birch logs.  The other major project completed so far this Spring is the replacement of the fence at the back of Douglas Fir, Elm and Hazel and we are now part way through replacing the fence round Fernlea.

We have also done some general cottage maintenance touching up paintwork and checking inventories etc.  We were not expecting this to take too long, until we discovered a large damp patch on the Birch bedroom ceiling.  This turned out to be a problem with the roof which had probably existed for years, but only became apparent during February's persistent and heavy rain.  On the day we completed the repairs to the roof and bedroom ceiling we discovered a large damp patch on the bedroom floor.  We initially though this must be related to the roof leak, but it turned out to be a series of pin-prick holes in the copper piping in the bathroom necessitating the complete replacement of the bathroom pipework and a large area of re-tiling.

While these various projects have kept us both busy we have also managed to get out on foot and by bike.  While Lily has done more of the walking as Jon is awaiting a second partial knee replacement, Jon has spent more time on his bike exploring the network of land rover and single tracks in the area.

We very much hope that common sense will prevail and we will be able to re-open soon as we are set up to enable easy social distancing.  However, at this stage, we are pessimistic that we will be permitted to re-open until some time in July.  As soon as the position becomes clearer we will let you know.  In the interim we hope that all of our guests, past and futures stay safe and well.

Latest Instagram Images

Customer Reviews

Follow us:

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Instagram

Share this page:

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter